Once again it is foodie Friday, and we are bringing you some great, nutritious recipes for your Child with Cancer that the whole family can enjoy.
It is vital that Children with Cancer, including Children with Brain Cancer, eat well-balanced, nutritional meals and snacks in order to maintain their weight, rebuild any tissue lost in treatment, and strengthen their immune system and power it to fight against the brain cancer.
The occurrence of malnutrition in children with childhood tumours is multifactorial and develops during therapy for cancer in 40-80% of children. Malnutrition is more commonly seen in patients with advanced Neuroblastoma, Wilms Tumour, Ewing Sarcoma and advanced lymphomas.
Malnutrition is usually more severe with aggressive tumours in the later stages of malignancy. Children who have a poor nutritional status have lower survival rates compared to those with a good nutritional status.
Ricotta Flapjacks with Fresh Berries
- 150g flour
- 5ml baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp castor sugar
- 1 extra large egg
- 125ml milk
- 50 ml melted butter
- 100g ricotta cheese
- Blueberries to serve
- Maple syrup to serve
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl
2. Combine the rest of the ingredients (except the blueberries)
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the wet and gently mix well until you have a smooth batter
4. Fry spoonful’s of the batter in a non-stick pan, when browned on one side flip over and brown on the other (you can add some blueberries at this point if you wish)
5. Keep warm in an oven until ready to serve
Pile the flapjacks onto a pretty serving platter, pile with blueberries and pour over maple syrup
Spinach, Mushroom & Feta Crustless Quiche
8 oz. fresh mushrooms
½ tsp minced garlic
as needed non-stick spray
1 (10 oz.) box frozen spinach
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
2 oz. feta cheese
¼ cup grated parmesan
½ cup shredded mozzarella
to taste salt & pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. If your frozen spinach is not already thawed, thaw it in the microwave. Empty the box into a colander and let it drain while you begin to prepare the rest.
2. Quickly rinse the mushrooms and slice them thinly.
3. Place the sliced mushrooms in a skillet coated with non-stick spray, add the minced garlic, and sprinkle a little salt and pepper.
4. Turn the heat on to medium-high and saute the mushrooms until they release all of their moisture and no more water remains on the bottom of the skillet (5-7 minutes).
5. Spray a pie dish with non-stick spray. Squeeze the rest of the water out of the spinach and spread it out on the bottom of the pie dish. Next add the cooked mushrooms and crumbled feta.
6. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs until fairly smooth.
7. Add the milk, parmesan, and another small sprinkle of pepper. Whisk to combine. (This step can be completed while the mushrooms are cooking) Pour this mixture into the pie dish over the spinach, mushrooms, and feta.
8. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over top. Place the pie dish on a baking sheet for easy transfer into the oven. Place the quiche into the preheated oven and bake until it is golden brown on top and the center is solid.
Every oven is different but this should take between 45 minutes and an hour. Slice and serve!
Crunchy Zucchini Fritters with Avocado Dill Dip
This dish is perfect to take on a picnic or to a potluck! All I can say about this dish is yum, yum. It is one of my all-time favourites!
- 1 large zucchini or 2 small
- 1 clove of garlic peeled and minced
- ¼ Cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup fresh oregano. Ditto
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 organic eggs
- ¼ cup gluten free flour
- ¼ teaspoon Onion powder or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper or to taste
- Avocado dip base
- ½ cup finely chopped dill
- Using the large holes of a box grater, grate zucchini. Place zucchini in a colander set in the sink and toss with 1/2 teaspoons salt. Let stand 10 minutes, and then wring zucchini dry in a clean kitchen towel to remove moisture.
2. Place zucchini in a large bowl and gently mix in egg, garlic, basil, oregano, lemon zest, onion powder, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine. Slowly add flour, stirring so no lumps form.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until the oil sizzles when you drop a small amount of zucchini mixture into the pan. Carefully drop about 2 tablespoons zucchini mixture into pan; repeat, spacing fritters a few inches apart.
4. Cook fritters until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium. Turn fritters, and continue cooking until golden, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer fritters to a plate; set aside in a warm place. Cook remaining zucchini mixture, adding more oil to pan if necessary.
If you want more veggies try adding a ½ cup of finely chopped kale or spinach!
Chicken and Spinach Bake with Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 8 -10 large spinach leaves wilted and central rib removed
- 12 slices ham
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion peeled and finely chopped
- ½ cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves finely crushed
- 500g minced chicken breast
- ½ cup chopped bacon
- ½ cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup grated cheddar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 beaten egg
- Salt and ground white pepper
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- Fresh pea shoots
1. Pre-heat oven 170 deg C
2. Spray a 1 kg loaf tin with cooking spray and line with a few spinach leaves, and top the spinach with 4 slices of the ham, set the remaining leaves aside till needed.
3. Heat the olive oil in a pan and Now it’s time to sauté the onions, red pepper, carrot, for 2 minutes, now add the cayenne pepper and cumin and garlic, stir fry till fragrant, remove from the stove and cool slightly.
4. Place the minced chicken into a bowl and stir in the onion mixture with the bacon, bread crumbs, feta cheese, cheddar cheese, thyme and beaten egg , season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Divide the minced chicken mixture into 2, press half the mixture onto the ham, top the minced chicken, top with a few spinach leaves and then with another 4 slices of ham, now top with the remaining minced chicken , ham and more spinach leaves.
6. Place the chicken loaf into a baking dish and pour boiling water into the baking dish to reach half way up the tin, bake approximately 45 minutes, remove from the heat, cover with foil and rest for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter, spoon over the tomato sauce and garnish with basil pesto and pea shoots.
Spicy Tomato Sauce
Yield: 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red chillies, seeded and sliced
- 30 g fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 really ripe tomatoes, skinned, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion, chillies, ginger and garlic, and cook till wonderfully fragrant.
2. Stir in the tomatoes, fish sauce and sugar.
3. Lower the heat and simmer till it reduces and is thick and chunky; add a half a cup of water if it looks like it might stick.
Serve with fish cakes, steaks, chops or lamb and pork.